Friday, July 15, 2011

Happy Birthday!

Oh sweet Georgia Ave, you turn 2 today! 

Or 72 if we are really counting. 

When I first laid eyes on you...you were disgusting and ugly. 


I have never seen more dirt and filth in my life.


The owner wasn't sure anyone would ever see past the dirt and the smell of the renters and want to buy you. 


But along came a 24 year girl who really wanted a house near the city...


and this girl could never visualize anything until she met you. 

This was the focal piece of your future existence. 


The day we closed on each other was the best day of your life (and Ann and Julia's).  


Our fingers were pruny from scrubbing with undiluted purple power...


and our noses hurt from smelling years of steamed collard greens and other awful smelling foods. 

Don't let the smiles fool you...we were more happy to be together than cleaning up this foul smelling house. 


They were troopers. 

They win the best friends of the year award. 


My parents also judged you, but they came down to give you a fresh coat of paint and try to make you a little more liveable.  

Nobody thought you were great...everyone wanted to give up on you.   

Except for me. 

I wanted you.

Because I could see that you had potential. 


 There were plenty of days where I came and laid on your scratched up not yet refinished floors and cried.  This happened the day I came home from work and there was a huge hole in my floor. 

And the day that the bathroom cabinet wouldn't be painted (bc it was faux wood).


But most days I cold see the light at the end of the tunnel. 


Like when this floor was refinished and tiled. 


There were a few setbacks. Like the day before school started and I got mad at your ugly faux painted wood and I took a crowbar to the wall and ended up with a hole that I didn't know how to fix. 

But soon you were fixed and I had exactly what I wanted and I learned how to sheetrock.
 A beautiful bathroom. 

a livable living room

a kitchen of my dreams



shelves made it look oh so pretty 

and a living room that begged me to come live in it. 




So I did. 

Georgia Ave. I saw your potential. I loved you and still do. You made me a homeowner and taught me things that I never would have thought I could do.  

I am so thankful for you and I wouldn't trade you for any cookie cutter house in the burbs anyday.  


Happy Birthday Georgia Ave. 

2 comments:

  1. You forgot the help of your loving brother!! No shout-out is a disgrace!!!!

    ReplyDelete