Sunday, April 24, 2011

Shall We?

I almost feel like it is the first day of school and I am so nervous that I can not sleep. I made my coffee and programmed it for the ungodly hour of 5:30, I packed my lunch (and snack), I pulled my teacher bag together (I don't think I can lift it), and finally I picked out what I am going to wear in the morning.

My two week hiatus from life is over. Let me tell you though...I feel rested. I feel excited for school and I am ready to do big things in the next 6 weeks that I have left with my class.

[Sidenote: Happy Easter! At Taylor we used to LOVE the saying "He is Risen" and replying with "He is Risen Indeed." Today, I heard from my Taylor girls and it made me really miss them ALOT.]

The Easter message got me thinking and not really about the death and resurrection (although that is quite pertinent to life).  I was thinking about sacrifice and dependence and control.

Let me back up. 3 years ago during my first year of teaching 2nd grade, I had a student who was the biggest cutie pie EVER, but also my most active student.  I typically keep my most active students in the front of the line because that way they don't have anyone to mess with and most importantly they walk next to me.  I guess the saying "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" rings true and definitely applies to my sweet kiddo who needed some extra chaperoning.


This one little friend in particular could melt me with one look, but could make me want to spit fire with the next.  He had a certain charisma that was contagious and a heart that needed loving.  One particular afternoon as we were lining up for the bus and I was running around trying to get everyone where they needed to be (what teacher has a calm afternoon dismissal because if you do...we should chat).  My little one was waiting patiently for me to come to the front and lead him out to the bus.  As I was barking orders at the class and coral-ing the rest, little M held up his hand and looked at me with his big eyes and said "Miss Slagle....Shall we?"Again, I melted and said "Yes...Yes...We Shall" and took his hand and together we walked to the bus.
Mr. Shall We

Fastforward...Today at church I felt like I was being asked the very same question and for so long it has seemed like I was tackling life one task at a time.

But today, my answer felt the same as it did the day I was asked to hold a hand and walk to the bus. I knew unequivocally that nothing else mattered and that I could rest safe in the Lord's arms, just like M. could rest his hand in mine.


Yes...together....we shall.

2 comments:

  1. you are amazing! Now that Kaitlin has been accepted at Wake Forest you should come visit her! How far is it from Charlotte to Winston-Salem?

    ReplyDelete